I found this necklace that was entitled “Sleek in Silver” in a back issue of Beadwork magazine. I ordered FIFTY digital issues a couple of weeks ago when they were running a special for like 30 bucks off if you spend 50. Or something like that, all I know is I spent a bit over twenty dollars and I am ROLLING in digital issues of Beadwork, Step by Step Wire, Bead & Button, etc.
Anyhoo, this was a St. Petersburg stitch using Tila beads, 8/0 seeds, and 11/0 seeds. I was supposed to have top drilled briolettes for the dangles, but all I could find was some glass leaf beads so I went with them.
This necklace involved making 31 sets of stitches based around a tila bead, and then rounds 32, 34, and 36 each have a dangle. Times two…..the two straps of the necklace. The straps are then combined with a little triangle of 3-2-1 tila beads with 3 more dangles.
I had ALOT of fun making this one. I enjoy St. Petersburg stitch, and I especially enjoyed it with the tila beads. It didn’t involve a lot of thought, and no complicated maneuvers….it was a breeze to make. I made screenshots of the three pages of instructions I used, as I am not the most tech savvy person, and my attempted upload to scribd failed.
And here I am modeling the lovely V shaped St. Petersburg stitch leaf dangle necklace!
UPDATE: I made a half necklace of the St. Petersburg Tila beads and used some black chain for the rest.
I ordered some “good” beads from Fusion Beads, including the 6mm Emerald green Tila beads and the 16 mm black Daggers in this necklace. All I can say is wow, it is so nice using higher quality beads than the less expensive ones. Fusion beads sells by the bead, so I only had 50 of these Tilas, thus the idea for the half necklace.
The only problem I have with this necklace is the daggers do not hang properly. This is the first time I have worked with dagger beads, so I’m not sure if I need to leave more slack when stringing them or what. I may end up taking this apart and re-doing, because those darn daggers stick out all the wrong ways and I have to manually straighten them out – and then walk like a model with a book on my head so they don’t move. Not very practical!