I bought an orange and yellow dress, and wanted some earrings to go with it. That’s the best part of making jewelry….you can tailor make anything you want to match just about anything! So using this tutorial from 2 Good Claymates for Polymer Disk Earrings, I got out my yellow and orange clay and had at it!
I made a yellow and orange skinner blend, and cut out some flower shapes, trying to use the most swirly parts of the clay sheet. I then made a flower impression in the pieces, first trying out a texture sheet that I had but ultimately using a picture frame to make deeper, more impressive impressions.
I tried three different mediums to add some pizazz to them – a bronze pearl-ex powder, some brownish acrylic paint applied and then wiped off to leave paint in the impressions, and some pearl pearl-ex powder. I HATED the acrylic paint one, it looked terrible I threw it away. The bronze pearl-ex one was okay, but I liked best the pearl pearl-ex powder. After baking, I made another set of flowers in the same size to apply to the backs to hold the eye pin in.
On the advice of the 2 Good Claymates tute that I linked to, bending the eye pin into a squiggle helps to hold it in place – makes a ton of sense as a straight pin, as I have found out the hard way in the past, can slide right out of the hole. So after squiggling up my eye pins, I put the back pieces of clay on to the baked front pieces .
The tutorial I was kinda following used a plastic net to texture the back, I used this strange plastic piece that I seriously found on the ground a few months ago and thought “I have no idea what this is, but it would make a good texture!”
After trimming around the flower petals to make the two sides fit together, I baked again. The big question afterward was: brush on some resin, or just brush on some Finish floor wax? My husband, who probably just wanted some dinner, suggested I just Finish them and be done with it, so that’s what I did. If I make them again, I may try to brush on some resin to make them shinier and sturdier. But a quick addition of an ear hook, and that was that! I may add a dangly bead or two in the future, but for now I am quite pleased to have some yellow and orange earrings to match my yellow and orange sundress!
EDIT: I made some resin last night for another project, and decided to add some to these earrings. I love the way resin acts kinda like a magnifying glass of sorts when put on top of a piece of polymer. Anyway they came out super shiny, the design and the colors seem more amplified, and they are definately more sturdy.